Community Volunteer Promotor (CVP)
Summer Student Job description
Printable PDF Format: http://www.volunteercowichan.bc.ca/pdf/student_position_2017a.pdf
Location: Duncan, BC, with travel throughout the Cowichan Region
Note: applicants must have a home base in the Cowichan Valley for the duration of the employment period.
Term: As early as May 23 and end approximately August 25, 2017
Salary: $15.00 per hour
Hours of work per week: 35
Volunteer Cowichan is a charitable non-profit organization raising awareness of the power of service and encouraging people to volunteer. Volunteer Cowichan assists initiatives, projects and organizations to meet community needs and interests. Some of our core objectives include:
- Providing a means for the encouragement of voluntary citizenship participation in health, welfare, recreation, education, cultural and civic programs
- Providing a central unit for recruitments, registration, training and placement of volunteers into community
- Fostering citizenship and encouraging healthy communities
This position is supported by the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Have registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full time basis in the next academic year;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
This job will include developing a marketing campaign to focus on promoting and engaging individuals, groups and organizations to participate in the “150 for 150 Challenge.” The CVP will take this pan-National challenge to events, individuals, organizations, businesses and local governments. While gaining support through the community, the CVP will organize a celebration to honour those successful in the challenge: This event will occur in December. In addition the CVP will market Volunteer Cowichan’s 40th anniversary. In addition to these responsibilities, the CVP will gather information regarding current volunteer activities, volunteer opportunities and perceived volunteer needs. Other responsibilities will include: updating the website, issuing press releases and creating newsletters.
- Pursuing a career in public relations, media, hospitality, marketing or the not-profit sector
- An approachable and personable nature as well as a willingness to recruit and work with volunteers;
- Be self-directed with an ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Attention to detail and time management skills;
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to organize events and to keep track of information, contacts and budgets;
- Daily access to a computer with reliable internet connection;
- Have a valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle and ability to attend locations in the community;
- An ability and willingness to work flexible hours.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including preparing written reports, and experience preparing web content, newsletter articles, press releases and social media content;
- Experience working with volunteers and members of the community.
To apply: send a cover letter and resume, as a single pdf to Jennifer Lazenby, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm (PST) on Wednesday May 17, 2017. Please put “Community Volunteer Promotor” in the subject line so we can confirm receipt of your application. No phone calls please. Each application will be acknowledged, however only shortlisted applicants will receive further contact.