Farmers Institute at Cobble Hill
- To promote rural life and the theories and practices of agriculture;
- To promote public awareness of the role of agriculture in today’s society;
- To promote the management and maintenance of the assets of the Shawnigan Cobble Hill Farmers Institute and Agricultural Society on behalf of its members;
- To promote and celebrate the legacy of agriculture;
- To promote and support the education and participation of youth in agriculture.
- To help support children, families and seniors of the South Cowichan area;
- To provide an opportunity for those in South Cowichan to celebrate their local identity and character;
- To celebrate South Cowichan’s agricultural roots;
- To showcase the agricultural bounty of the South Cowichan area;
- To showcase the South Cowichan culture, industries and environment;
- To create a greater awareness of the South Cowichan Region;
- To come together once a year to have a great time with family, friends and neighbours.
We own, maintain and operate the Cobble Hill Hall, Youth Hall, Stu Armour Building and more than 5 acres of land in the heart of the Cobble Hill Village. We are known for staging the Cobble Hill Fair but we also sponsor or host a large number of community events. To provide just a few examples, we sponsor the young people who are 4-H members by providing meeting spaces and a location for them to practice everything from animal husbandry skills, to photography to building bicycles. We are also home to the South Cowichan Seniors. We provide the Cobble Hill Hall free to this group of very dedicated volunteers who prepare and serve hot nutritious meals to Seniors on the second and fourth Monday of every month. Over 140 Seniors now enjoy this social occasion where they connect with friends old and new. With some extra community help, South Cowichan Seniors welcomed more than 230 at their Christmas luncheon. Amongst a variety of other activities, we also sponsor a Christmas Concert early in December with all of the proceeds going to the CMS Food Bank. This represents just a few of the many community sponsorships the Farmers Institute is involved in and supports.
Our Farmers Institute has served Cobble Hill and the South Cowichan community for more than a century. All of the work we do is for the community. We have no employees… we are a volunteer organization and we welcome your help and support. To join, attend one of our meetings or to find out more about us please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We invite and welcome your participation!
George Robbins, President